Apostolate with Persons with Disabilities
“We are one flock under the care of a single shepherd. There can be no separate Church for persons with disabilities.”
~A STATEMENT OF THE U.S. CATHOLIC BISHOPS
Apostolate with Persons with Disabilities seeks to provide leadership and services to foster full inclusion of persons with disabilities in the Church and community.
We assist parishes to become more welcoming and inclusive of people who have disabilities and their families by.
- Helping them be aware of both attitudinal barriers and architectural barriers that my exist in their Parish.
- Provide direction and resources to assure equal access to the Church, Sacraments and Ministries.
The Apostolate provides pastoral care and out reach ministry for people who have Disabilities and their families.
Pastoral Care and services:
- Visits to groups homes, institutions, total care facilities, and home visits
- Outings and social activities for Individuals who have Disabilities
- Direction to resources for housing, medical assistance, transportation and support
- Direct care and support based on need
- Retreats and social gatherings for young adults who have differing abilities
Education, Workshops, and Training Offered
- Parish inclusion ministry ( may be a committee or individual)
- Training for Ushers and Pastoral Workers. How to approach and encourage people with Disabilities to Participate more fully according to their gifts and talents.
- Suggestions for time and talent survey
- Architectural accessibility survey
- Workshop topics include, “The Power of Words”, “Welcome and Justice-a Framework of Access and Inclusion”, “Guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacraments with Persons with Disabilities”, "ABC’s... Acceptance, Belonging and Church”, "Equal Access and the Three I’s...Individual, Independent and interdependence”, “Ministry Happens”, “Eliminating Stigma, Ministry with People who have Mental Illness”, "God Loves Your Child with a Disability", and “Moving from Accessible to Inclusive”
Mass for Shut Ins airs on WJTC Sunday mornings at 10:30 a.m.
Socials and Visits at Facilities and Homes for People who Have Disabilities
Mrs. Ruth Breland, Director
Phone (251) 342-6449
Last Updated on Tuesday, 05 October 2010 17:45