Recognizing that individuals with disabilities have a claim to our respect because they are persons, because they share in the one redemption of Christ, and because they contribute to our society by their activity within it, the Church must become an advocate for and with them.
– U.S. Catholic Bishops’ Pastoral Statement
The mission of the Office of Disability Ministries and Services is to assist people with cognitive, physical, and other developmental disabilities to understand, develop, and live out their lives as completely as possible regardless of disability type, severity, or age of onset. We provide educational, spiritual, pastoral, sacramental, and social programs, fostering full inclusion of persons with disabilities into the Church and community. Some of the services provided include:
- Visits to group homes, institutions, total care facilities, day programs, as well as home visits
- Social activities and outings
- Volunteer opportunities
- Providing direction and resources for obtaining housing, medical assistance, transportation, and other support
- Faith Sharing classes and Mass attendance
Mass for Shut-Ins airs on WJTC (Channel 44) Sunday mornings at 10:30am.
For more information, contact Brittany Smith, Disability Ministries and Services by phone, (251) 434-1550, or by email [email protected].